Skip to main content

You CAN love, You HAVE strength to deal with difficulties, You CAN control yourself!

Did you know that the Spirit of God has given YOU power, the ability to love and be self-disciplined?

Nope, I didn't make it up:

"For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline." (2 Timothy 1:6)

I had read Timothy a few times, but this verse never stood out for me. It's very exciting finding something new in God's word that you never knew existed - and totally changes the way you think about something.

There are many times I (and we) feel like I don't have the mental, emotional or physical strength to deal with certain things, the power to love someone who is just so unlovable, or the ability to restrain myself - but God revealed to me that I actually do!

And that changed the game completely. How so, you ask? (Maybe you didn't, but I'll tell you anyway.) Now, picture this: You have constant nagging headaches; the kind that isn't moved at all by any painkillers you bring its way. One day, you realise that you actually never needed the Paracetamol in the first place; your body has an in-built Pain Terminator.

Get it? YOU hold the power. God's already given it to you! You can love, you have the strength to deal with difficulties, you can control yourself!

That's what the word of God does, and that's why it's so crucial to get as much of it in as you can. It sets you free - especially from yourself, which can sometimes be the most difficult to achieve.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16)

When you know of the power you hold within you, it makes it easier to defeat the devil.


Kunmi x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple, Practical Solution To Reading More of Your Bible

At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read the entire Bible - for the second time - in a year. (I also started using these amazing reading plans on my even more amazing Bible app, YouVersion. It's awesome; check it out! )  My aim is to get more of God's word into my head, mind and heart, and as a result, get to know Him better, as... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was  God." (John 1:1) Simple, yeah? If God and His Word are one, then by getting to know one more, I get to know the other, right? But to achieve my goal, I obviously had to carve out more time to read God's Word.  Now, truth be told, I often find reading the Bible a little bit tedious (I'll have you know God appreciates my honesty), ESPECIALLY when it gets to certain, not-so-Jesus-loves-you-you-can-do-no-wrong-everything-is-all-GOOD chapters like Numbers, Leviticus and a few others (let's cut them some slack, shall we?). But I rea...

Why God's Grand Plan Has Nothing To (Actually) Do With Us

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on this massively eye-opening reading in my YouVersion plan. "T he main focus of God’s plan is God, not us," the author said - to which I was like: Say what? What do you mean  everything God planned, did or will do wasn't about me? But didn't He come to die for me ?  My natural, self-absorbed self just couldn't grasp it. "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond what you could imagine." (Isaiah 55:8, NLT) This reading below testifies to that completely. We often get lost in ourselves and (if we're being completely honest), our belief that God's plans should revolve around us and our comfort. Hence, why, like I said, this reading was a massive eye-opener: God had all His plans in place when He created us. He knew exactly how much everything was going to cost, knew exactly what His ultimate goal was, and knew how everything was going to turn out...

Why You Should Stop Searching For Your Purpose

In the last few months, I'd been struggling with feelings of unfulfillment, direction and purpose. Although I have three jobs, a business and a good relationship with God (at the moment LOL), I felt like something was missing and I was just wasting away - every day.  Was I just waking up, working, cooking, cleaning, sleeping and doing it all over again the next day? Was there something I should have been doing that I wasn't? Was the more God wanted of me? Was I just coasting through life? As usual, I took it to God and I trusted He would show/tell me exactly what I needed to know in this season of my life, and I'm so glad He did. On my (motivational) radio programme, the Holy Spirit prompted me to talk about finding your calling and purpose in life, and in doing research for the show, I stumbled upon a few powerful thoughts that really challenged the way I thought about God-given purpose. Is it really what we think it is? Have we complicated this matter of 'findin...