Skip to main content

Working Out Your Spiritual Muscle

One of my favourite things to pray in the morning is, Lord, please help me to be patient, loving, kind and full of compassion, today. Help me to be considerate, put the interests of others above my own, and be a great reflection of you. I love saying these words so much because it's one of the most earnest desires of my heart.

But what I fail to think about, almost every time I pray this prayer, is just how God is going to help me be these wonderful, angelic-esque things. 

In my head, it goes a bit like this: God waves his wand around a few times (all the while thinking what an awesome kid He's got), and I'm all of a sudden immune to all the bad drivers out there, my shoulder is the perfect one to lean on, and I just can't help but spread sparkle and smiles all around this dark, dark world.

Yeah. Not really likely.

You see, when we ask God to change, mould or even break us, what He really presents us with is an opportunity to build that particular muscle in our lives.

Asking for patience? God is going to seat the most annoying person in the world right next to you on the morning commute to work. Want to gossip less? Someone's fiance will just have been spotted being A LITTLE TOO COSY with a mystery girl. Want to show more love? God may just present you with a situation where it's difficult to bring yourself to love someone.

That's how we grow. Your muscles only begin to show when you've worked them out - as do your spiritual muscles.

So do you want all the beautiful fruits of the Spirit (which are: Love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, by the way)? Your favourite Personal Trainer, God, is on it!


Kunmi x




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple, Practical Solution To Reading More of Your Bible

At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read the entire Bible - for the second time - in a year. (I also started using these amazing reading plans on my even more amazing Bible app, YouVersion. It's awesome; check it out! )  My aim is to get more of God's word into my head, mind and heart, and as a result, get to know Him better, as... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was  God." (John 1:1) Simple, yeah? If God and His Word are one, then by getting to know one more, I get to know the other, right? But to achieve my goal, I obviously had to carve out more time to read God's Word.  Now, truth be told, I often find reading the Bible a little bit tedious (I'll have you know God appreciates my honesty), ESPECIALLY when it gets to certain, not-so-Jesus-loves-you-you-can-do-no-wrong-everything-is-all-GOOD chapters like Numbers, Leviticus and a few others (let's cut them some slack, shall we?). But I rea...

Why God's Grand Plan Has Nothing To (Actually) Do With Us

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on this massively eye-opening reading in my YouVersion plan. "T he main focus of God’s plan is God, not us," the author said - to which I was like: Say what? What do you mean  everything God planned, did or will do wasn't about me? But didn't He come to die for me ?  My natural, self-absorbed self just couldn't grasp it. "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond what you could imagine." (Isaiah 55:8, NLT) This reading below testifies to that completely. We often get lost in ourselves and (if we're being completely honest), our belief that God's plans should revolve around us and our comfort. Hence, why, like I said, this reading was a massive eye-opener: God had all His plans in place when He created us. He knew exactly how much everything was going to cost, knew exactly what His ultimate goal was, and knew how everything was going to turn out...

Why You Should Stop Searching For Your Purpose

In the last few months, I'd been struggling with feelings of unfulfillment, direction and purpose. Although I have three jobs, a business and a good relationship with God (at the moment LOL), I felt like something was missing and I was just wasting away - every day.  Was I just waking up, working, cooking, cleaning, sleeping and doing it all over again the next day? Was there something I should have been doing that I wasn't? Was the more God wanted of me? Was I just coasting through life? As usual, I took it to God and I trusted He would show/tell me exactly what I needed to know in this season of my life, and I'm so glad He did. On my (motivational) radio programme, the Holy Spirit prompted me to talk about finding your calling and purpose in life, and in doing research for the show, I stumbled upon a few powerful thoughts that really challenged the way I thought about God-given purpose. Is it really what we think it is? Have we complicated this matter of 'findin...