Skip to main content

You and I are Built to Worship

I woke up this morning and felt immediately discouraged. 

First of all, Tuesday morning marked the end of the glorious three-day weekend, and I really wasn't quite ready to face the world yet, or deal with fuel scarcity issues, OR manoeuvre around in this heat. 

Secondly, I had allowed myself to get bugged down by this irritating, persistent issue, and I couldn't get my mind to let it go. 

Lastly, everything felt on top of me: Money worries, career worries, and what-the-heck-does-the-future-hold worries. 

So, really, I didn't want to get out of bed. Because the minute you do is the minute you actually have to DEAL WITH YOUR LIFE - and man, I just wasn't ready.

But a clear, simple thought (in actual fact, it was a prayer) came to mind, and came straight out through my lips, with no hesitation: "Lord, forgive me for every time that I've forgotten that I'm built to worship." Not focus on every little thing - real and imagined - that is wrong with my life. And I really meant that prayer.

This morning, through the Holy Spirit, I had one of those rare moments in my every day life when I remembered that my life is so much bigger than what's currently bugging me. Or even me, myself - as a whole. 

You and I are built to worship. To commune with God; to breathe Him in, and focus on Him, and share Him and allow ourselves to be loved by Him. And when I remembered that, I suddenly had peace. Because everything else - although still concerns, I won't deny - paled in comparison to the truth that my life means so much MORE.

So instead of worrying - or worse, pretending not to be - I could just worship; focus on something (someONE) bigger than myself. 

One of the greatest lessons I've learnt is the joy you can experience when you stop being so into yourself. Because when I focus on God (and other people), I gain the most amazing perspective. And that is that: God is the most important thing, and putting Him first is they key to *~everything*~. 

The things you're worried about now will fade away, but the joy of intimacy with God is everlasting. 


Kunmi x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple, Practical Solution To Reading More of Your Bible

At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read the entire Bible - for the second time - in a year. (I also started using these amazing reading plans on my even more amazing Bible app, YouVersion. It's awesome; check it out! )  My aim is to get more of God's word into my head, mind and heart, and as a result, get to know Him better, as... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was  God." (John 1:1) Simple, yeah? If God and His Word are one, then by getting to know one more, I get to know the other, right? But to achieve my goal, I obviously had to carve out more time to read God's Word.  Now, truth be told, I often find reading the Bible a little bit tedious (I'll have you know God appreciates my honesty), ESPECIALLY when it gets to certain, not-so-Jesus-loves-you-you-can-do-no-wrong-everything-is-all-GOOD chapters like Numbers, Leviticus and a few others (let's cut them some slack, shall we?). But I rea...

Why You Should Stop Searching For Your Purpose

In the last few months, I'd been struggling with feelings of unfulfillment, direction and purpose. Although I have three jobs, a business and a good relationship with God (at the moment LOL), I felt like something was missing and I was just wasting away - every day.  Was I just waking up, working, cooking, cleaning, sleeping and doing it all over again the next day? Was there something I should have been doing that I wasn't? Was the more God wanted of me? Was I just coasting through life? As usual, I took it to God and I trusted He would show/tell me exactly what I needed to know in this season of my life, and I'm so glad He did. On my (motivational) radio programme, the Holy Spirit prompted me to talk about finding your calling and purpose in life, and in doing research for the show, I stumbled upon a few powerful thoughts that really challenged the way I thought about God-given purpose. Is it really what we think it is? Have we complicated this matter of 'findin...

Why God's Grand Plan Has Nothing To (Actually) Do With Us

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on this massively eye-opening reading in my YouVersion plan. "T he main focus of God’s plan is God, not us," the author said - to which I was like: Say what? What do you mean  everything God planned, did or will do wasn't about me? But didn't He come to die for me ?  My natural, self-absorbed self just couldn't grasp it. "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond what you could imagine." (Isaiah 55:8, NLT) This reading below testifies to that completely. We often get lost in ourselves and (if we're being completely honest), our belief that God's plans should revolve around us and our comfort. Hence, why, like I said, this reading was a massive eye-opener: God had all His plans in place when He created us. He knew exactly how much everything was going to cost, knew exactly what His ultimate goal was, and knew how everything was going to turn out...