Skip to main content

The Amazing Lesson Genesis 5 Taught Me About Standing Out

Reading Genesis 5, from start to finish, you'll find the chapter talks a lot about Adam's family line. This person lived 905 years and had XYZ children; this person died after 830 years and had so-so amount of sons.

The story (recorded) was pretty much the same for all them - Adam, Seth, Mahalalel, etc. - until you get to Enoch. For the first time in the entire chapter, something other than just how old they were when they died, and how many kids they had was documented about someone! 

Of course, each of the men in Genesis 5 weren't 100% identical, with the exact same experiences, relationships with God, attributes and talents, but only Enoch got the chance to have a more significant part of his story told - and centuries and centuries after, people are still reading/talking about him.

When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. After he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked faithfully with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. Altogether, Enoch lived a total of 365 years. Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away. (Gen. 5: 21-24)

You might be thinking: Big deal? It's two lines! But think about it this way: Of all the 10 different men written about in this part of the Bible, only one stood out. Why? Because he "walked faithfully with God," so much so that God chose to honour him forever and ever by including his story in the #1 best-selling book in the world, for generations to come to know of him.

That is a big deal.

It got me thinking if my story would stand out when I eventually die. Have I walked faithfully with God? In a world of sin and confusion, am I any different? Is my story exceptional?

I'm not looking to have a statue built in my honour, or be the most famous person on Earth; I just want to love God so much that He can say what He said of Enoch, of me. It's not about having the honour of being written about in the Bible (as it's a bit late for that now); it's about standing out from the crowd.

Will my story be exceptional? Will I go the extra mile to be close to God, and for the kingdom of God? Will I be an Enoch in the sea of Adam's sons?

Will you?


Love,

Kunmi





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple, Practical Solution To Reading More of Your Bible

At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read the entire Bible - for the second time - in a year. (I also started using these amazing reading plans on my even more amazing Bible app, YouVersion. It's awesome; check it out! )  My aim is to get more of God's word into my head, mind and heart, and as a result, get to know Him better, as... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was  God." (John 1:1) Simple, yeah? If God and His Word are one, then by getting to know one more, I get to know the other, right? But to achieve my goal, I obviously had to carve out more time to read God's Word.  Now, truth be told, I often find reading the Bible a little bit tedious (I'll have you know God appreciates my honesty), ESPECIALLY when it gets to certain, not-so-Jesus-loves-you-you-can-do-no-wrong-everything-is-all-GOOD chapters like Numbers, Leviticus and a few others (let's cut them some slack, shall we?). But I rea...

Why You Should Stop Searching For Your Purpose

In the last few months, I'd been struggling with feelings of unfulfillment, direction and purpose. Although I have three jobs, a business and a good relationship with God (at the moment LOL), I felt like something was missing and I was just wasting away - every day.  Was I just waking up, working, cooking, cleaning, sleeping and doing it all over again the next day? Was there something I should have been doing that I wasn't? Was the more God wanted of me? Was I just coasting through life? As usual, I took it to God and I trusted He would show/tell me exactly what I needed to know in this season of my life, and I'm so glad He did. On my (motivational) radio programme, the Holy Spirit prompted me to talk about finding your calling and purpose in life, and in doing research for the show, I stumbled upon a few powerful thoughts that really challenged the way I thought about God-given purpose. Is it really what we think it is? Have we complicated this matter of 'findin...

Why God's Grand Plan Has Nothing To (Actually) Do With Us

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on this massively eye-opening reading in my YouVersion plan. "T he main focus of God’s plan is God, not us," the author said - to which I was like: Say what? What do you mean  everything God planned, did or will do wasn't about me? But didn't He come to die for me ?  My natural, self-absorbed self just couldn't grasp it. "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond what you could imagine." (Isaiah 55:8, NLT) This reading below testifies to that completely. We often get lost in ourselves and (if we're being completely honest), our belief that God's plans should revolve around us and our comfort. Hence, why, like I said, this reading was a massive eye-opener: God had all His plans in place when He created us. He knew exactly how much everything was going to cost, knew exactly what His ultimate goal was, and knew how everything was going to turn out...