Skip to main content

The Real Reason Jesus Died For You

I love Breakfast With God so much because it provides me with the great opportunity to share personal, life-changing moments with people all over the world.

A few weeks ago, I was at a friend’s birthday get-together, but this was a different type of shindig. While all 20 or so of us guests (all ladies) were there to celebrate my amazing friend, she made her special day really about Someone else. The celebration was all intended to point the attention to God and his overwhelming love for us. I thought that was a fantastic idea.

‘Small chops’ (a sort of Nigerian take on canapés/starters), lots of banter and beautiful worship music later, my celebrant friend, calmly and unknowingly, said the most mind-blowing thing:

I was walking home one evening, with the Lord – I know that sounds strange, but yes, it does happen – by my side, and the Holy Spirit revealed something amazing to me; that this – this closeness, this friendship, this intimacy – is why Jesus really died for us.

What did she just say?

It didn’t take a millisecond for it to sink in before it made complete sense – all the sense in the world, in fact.

“The amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit be with you all,” Paul wrote to the church in Corinth (2 Cor. 13:14 MSG).

Friendship is what God wanted – in the beginning and now – more than anything else. The Bible says, in the cool of the day, God would come into the Garden of Eden to commune with Adam and Eve. Note: Not to pass off a bunch of never-ending instructions; not to condemn them; not to put pressure on them to be 'godly'; just to spend time with them. Every single day.

That’s what God wanted from us then, and that’s what he still wants from you today. God seeks to be friends with you first, before anything else. All the moulding, shaping and growing comes after that – as a result of that love, closeness and friendship.

The real reason Jesus died for you was to restore a lost friendship.


Love,

Kunmi x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple, Practical Solution To Reading More of Your Bible

At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read the entire Bible - for the second time - in a year. (I also started using these amazing reading plans on my even more amazing Bible app, YouVersion. It's awesome; check it out! )  My aim is to get more of God's word into my head, mind and heart, and as a result, get to know Him better, as... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was  God." (John 1:1) Simple, yeah? If God and His Word are one, then by getting to know one more, I get to know the other, right? But to achieve my goal, I obviously had to carve out more time to read God's Word.  Now, truth be told, I often find reading the Bible a little bit tedious (I'll have you know God appreciates my honesty), ESPECIALLY when it gets to certain, not-so-Jesus-loves-you-you-can-do-no-wrong-everything-is-all-GOOD chapters like Numbers, Leviticus and a few others (let's cut them some slack, shall we?). But I rea...

Why God's Grand Plan Has Nothing To (Actually) Do With Us

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on this massively eye-opening reading in my YouVersion plan. "T he main focus of God’s plan is God, not us," the author said - to which I was like: Say what? What do you mean  everything God planned, did or will do wasn't about me? But didn't He come to die for me ?  My natural, self-absorbed self just couldn't grasp it. "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond what you could imagine." (Isaiah 55:8, NLT) This reading below testifies to that completely. We often get lost in ourselves and (if we're being completely honest), our belief that God's plans should revolve around us and our comfort. Hence, why, like I said, this reading was a massive eye-opener: God had all His plans in place when He created us. He knew exactly how much everything was going to cost, knew exactly what His ultimate goal was, and knew how everything was going to turn out...

Why You Should Stop Searching For Your Purpose

In the last few months, I'd been struggling with feelings of unfulfillment, direction and purpose. Although I have three jobs, a business and a good relationship with God (at the moment LOL), I felt like something was missing and I was just wasting away - every day.  Was I just waking up, working, cooking, cleaning, sleeping and doing it all over again the next day? Was there something I should have been doing that I wasn't? Was the more God wanted of me? Was I just coasting through life? As usual, I took it to God and I trusted He would show/tell me exactly what I needed to know in this season of my life, and I'm so glad He did. On my (motivational) radio programme, the Holy Spirit prompted me to talk about finding your calling and purpose in life, and in doing research for the show, I stumbled upon a few powerful thoughts that really challenged the way I thought about God-given purpose. Is it really what we think it is? Have we complicated this matter of 'findin...