Skip to main content

How I Came to Understand the Very Thin Line Between Self-Worth and Pride

Recently, the Holy Spirit has been helping me understand that there is so much pride in me, and that if I continue to let it grow and fester, it will only lead to my own destruction.

You see, pride is a funny thing. It masks itself as self-respect; as self-worth; as knowing who you are and simply being confident in your own achievements. But sometimes, it's (a lot) more than that. The truth is, sometimes, we place ourselves on such a high pedestal and subconsciously glorify ourselves so much that we can't stand the thought of accepting anything less.

Let me put this quick disclaimer here: I don't believe in settling for just anything; that's not what this is about. I realised, with the help of the Holy Spirit, that I had gotten to the point where I despised the 'days of humble beginnings' my career was passing through; where I felt I was on a 'certain level' where I couldn't be treated any less than the best; where I was worried about what people would really think of me if I indulged in some 'lowly' tasks. 

But over the past couple of weeks, one silent whisper at a time, the Holy Spirit helped me see the error of my ways. He helped me understand that what I was feeling was not the need to maintain self-respect, but pride. I was looking to affirm my position; I was looking for validation in others; I was too bogged down by how things looked, appeared or would translate. I was forgetting that I didn't need permission from anyone to be who I knew I was already.

"Do not despise the days of little beginnings..." (Zechariah 4:10)

The truth is we aren't always going to get the respect, glory or appreciation we (actually) deserve in certain phases of our lives - and you and I just need to be okay with that. That doesn't make either of us any less who we are, or whose we are. I realise now that my heart has been full of pride to think otherwise.

Maybe you're going through some growing pains now. Maybe you're not where you thought you'd be or want to be. Maybe it's been crazy tough and getting out of bed to face the day is a struggle, everyday. I just want you to know this (which a lovely friend sent to me, this morning):

Don't be frustrated because things aren't happening as fast as you would like. Not every season is a growing season. Stay in faith and all will be well.

Amen.


Love,
Kunmi x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple, Practical Solution To Reading More of Your Bible

At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read the entire Bible - for the second time - in a year. (I also started using these amazing reading plans on my even more amazing Bible app, YouVersion. It's awesome; check it out! )  My aim is to get more of God's word into my head, mind and heart, and as a result, get to know Him better, as... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was  God." (John 1:1) Simple, yeah? If God and His Word are one, then by getting to know one more, I get to know the other, right? But to achieve my goal, I obviously had to carve out more time to read God's Word.  Now, truth be told, I often find reading the Bible a little bit tedious (I'll have you know God appreciates my honesty), ESPECIALLY when it gets to certain, not-so-Jesus-loves-you-you-can-do-no-wrong-everything-is-all-GOOD chapters like Numbers, Leviticus and a few others (let's cut them some slack, shall we?). But I rea...

Why You Should Stop Searching For Your Purpose

In the last few months, I'd been struggling with feelings of unfulfillment, direction and purpose. Although I have three jobs, a business and a good relationship with God (at the moment LOL), I felt like something was missing and I was just wasting away - every day.  Was I just waking up, working, cooking, cleaning, sleeping and doing it all over again the next day? Was there something I should have been doing that I wasn't? Was the more God wanted of me? Was I just coasting through life? As usual, I took it to God and I trusted He would show/tell me exactly what I needed to know in this season of my life, and I'm so glad He did. On my (motivational) radio programme, the Holy Spirit prompted me to talk about finding your calling and purpose in life, and in doing research for the show, I stumbled upon a few powerful thoughts that really challenged the way I thought about God-given purpose. Is it really what we think it is? Have we complicated this matter of 'findin...

Why God's Grand Plan Has Nothing To (Actually) Do With Us

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on this massively eye-opening reading in my YouVersion plan. "T he main focus of God’s plan is God, not us," the author said - to which I was like: Say what? What do you mean  everything God planned, did or will do wasn't about me? But didn't He come to die for me ?  My natural, self-absorbed self just couldn't grasp it. "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond what you could imagine." (Isaiah 55:8, NLT) This reading below testifies to that completely. We often get lost in ourselves and (if we're being completely honest), our belief that God's plans should revolve around us and our comfort. Hence, why, like I said, this reading was a massive eye-opener: God had all His plans in place when He created us. He knew exactly how much everything was going to cost, knew exactly what His ultimate goal was, and knew how everything was going to turn out...