Skip to main content

Are You About to Lose the Gifts God Has Given You?

My brother and I, who interestingly have a 10-year age gap, are constantly teasing, play-hitting or sharing a joke and a laugh (or ten), but on the odd day, we have important conversations about important things. One such rare day was yesterday when we went from gossiping (oops) about specific family members, to talking about gifts. 

He opened up to me about how he used to dream a lot when he was younger, where God revealed lots of things to him. But when – as a lot of us tend to do – he failed to take the time to sit with God and work on interpreting those dreams, they soon stopped. However, he found that when he takes some time out to fast and pray now, the revelations through dreams come back. 

Then, he said something which really caught my attention. It wasn’t something I hadn’t heard before but it, all of a sudden, sounded fresh in my ears and almost undoubtedly seemed like it was a message targeted at me. He said, “That’s the thing about your God-given gifts. If you don’t use them, God will eventually take them away. Not because He’s mean or out of wickedness, but because He feels they will be of better use somewhere else.” 

Woah
. Shots fired at my heart. Because I’d been slacking in using my own gifts – especially using writing to tell people about God and help them grow a deep relationship with Him (if you catch my drift).

What natural talents, gifts and skills have you been wasting? Let’s be clear about something: ‘God-given gifts’ don’t necessarily mean preaching, being on the worship team at church, or some church activity or another. Using your natural people skills to excel at your customer service job is using your gift. If God has given you the ability to cook wonderfully, being an excellent chef is making use of your talents. 

Serving in church does not mean serving your purpose. Every gift you have – however basic or ‘un-holy’ you think it is – is given by God, and once it’s being used in a way that makes God happy, you’re making good use of it. 

Let’s make a commitment to stop wasting what we’ve been blessed with and equipped to do. Protect your gift. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple, Practical Solution To Reading More of Your Bible

At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read the entire Bible - for the second time - in a year. (I also started using these amazing reading plans on my even more amazing Bible app, YouVersion. It's awesome; check it out! )  My aim is to get more of God's word into my head, mind and heart, and as a result, get to know Him better, as... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was  God." (John 1:1) Simple, yeah? If God and His Word are one, then by getting to know one more, I get to know the other, right? But to achieve my goal, I obviously had to carve out more time to read God's Word.  Now, truth be told, I often find reading the Bible a little bit tedious (I'll have you know God appreciates my honesty), ESPECIALLY when it gets to certain, not-so-Jesus-loves-you-you-can-do-no-wrong-everything-is-all-GOOD chapters like Numbers, Leviticus and a few others (let's cut them some slack, shall we?). But I rea

What Teaching Young Kids About The Holy Spirit Taught Me

I'm lucky enough to teach a lovely, lively bunch of children at Sunday School every week. Two weeks ago, at a Saturday session at church, I had learnt more about the Holy Spirit, who He really is and why we have Him (and need Him). Immediately, I thought: Hey, this is a great lesson to teach the kids soon. Yesterday, I decided today would be the perfect day to approach this topic with my young squad. I particularly thought this was a good idea because I needed to learn more about the Holy Spirit. While preparing to teach, I researched how to go about teaching younger children about this not-so-easy topic. You hear so much about God and Jesus, but not that much about the Holy Spirit (which they affirmed today, btw). I got help from this great Sunday School website, which suggested to use a great visual analogy: An egg. An egg is made up of three parts: The shell, egg white and yolk. Although the different parts exist, it's still an egg; each part is 'folded' into

What I Really Learnt About Prayer This Week

With prayer and I, it's been a mostly up-and-down relationship. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, we've fallen out of love quite a few times, and we've oftentimes flat out ignored each other over the years. Luckily, it's been more on the 'up' lately, for which I am super glad, because God knows I need it more than anything. The real transformation came when I realised that I didn't have to say the "right" things when I prayed, speak 'Christianese' (meaningless words that God is supposed to be impressed with), or lie to God about how/what I was feeling. A good friend of mine, Jen, once said, "Don't tell God, 'Oh Lord, I just want to worship Your holy name', when in fact you are about to combust from pain, sorrow, difficulties and frustration." That statement TOTALLY changed the way I pray. Now, that's not to say that I only run to God to cry about my problems (there's ALWAYS something), and I am complet