Skip to main content

What You Feed WILL Grow

I had a mini epiphany two Sundays ago, when a friend at church said this:

"Imagine two dogs. You starve one, hit it and keep it locked away from everyone else. With the other, you're nurturing, kind, and give it all the love, attention and food it can stand. Which one do you think will grow?"

The obvious answer was Dog B, and the whole audience agreed. 

What was she talking about? Our flesh, our spirit and the constant tug of war between the two, going on within us.

But although the answer was pretty obvious, this analogy helped me (so much) understand the reality that WHAT YOU FEED GROWS.

Although in practice, it comes with its challenges, it's a pretty clear (and dare I say, simple) logic.

That transformed everything for me! (I'm dramatic like that. Apologies.) I promptly went on Google Images, typed in "Feed your spirit" in the search box, looked for an appealing-enough image and made it the wallpaper on my phone - because I just had to keep reminding myself on why this is so important.

Increasingly, I spend more and more time working, and less and less time 'doing my own thing' (which mostly revolved around watching Scandal and scrolling through my Twitter timeline). So, these days, I'm super selective about what I spend my time on. Within that limited time, every day, I try to make speaking to God and reading His word a top priority. Is it always easy? No. But now, I understand that it's what I nurture that will produce fruit. If I spend large chunks of time tweeting, sure I'll laugh my head off, but will that help or hinder the growth of my relationship with God? It's a choice I have to keep making - everyday. These little things might seem insignificant, and like they don't matter much, but tiny drops of water make an ocean. 

Now (*in my grandmother's elderly, wise tone*), that doesn't mean you don't deserve chill time. We all need time to kick back and just do what we enjoy. But I - and I sincerely hope you do too - want to be close to God (in a David-in-the-Bible type of way), and that most definitely requires time and effort. I also want to let go of my anxiety, negative thinking, self-centredness and hurt - all of which require FEEDING my mind with God's Word day-in-day-out, and reminding myself of God's unquestionable love for me, His unrelenting grace towards me and His unending presence with me. 

Because WHAT I FEED WILL GROW!

Remember: Progress is what matters, not perfection.


Lots of love,

Kunmi x





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple, Practical Solution To Reading More of Your Bible

At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read the entire Bible - for the second time - in a year. (I also started using these amazing reading plans on my even more amazing Bible app, YouVersion. It's awesome; check it out! )  My aim is to get more of God's word into my head, mind and heart, and as a result, get to know Him better, as... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was  God." (John 1:1) Simple, yeah? If God and His Word are one, then by getting to know one more, I get to know the other, right? But to achieve my goal, I obviously had to carve out more time to read God's Word.  Now, truth be told, I often find reading the Bible a little bit tedious (I'll have you know God appreciates my honesty), ESPECIALLY when it gets to certain, not-so-Jesus-loves-you-you-can-do-no-wrong-everything-is-all-GOOD chapters like Numbers, Leviticus and a few others (let's cut them some slack, shall we?). But I rea...

Why You Should Stop Searching For Your Purpose

In the last few months, I'd been struggling with feelings of unfulfillment, direction and purpose. Although I have three jobs, a business and a good relationship with God (at the moment LOL), I felt like something was missing and I was just wasting away - every day.  Was I just waking up, working, cooking, cleaning, sleeping and doing it all over again the next day? Was there something I should have been doing that I wasn't? Was the more God wanted of me? Was I just coasting through life? As usual, I took it to God and I trusted He would show/tell me exactly what I needed to know in this season of my life, and I'm so glad He did. On my (motivational) radio programme, the Holy Spirit prompted me to talk about finding your calling and purpose in life, and in doing research for the show, I stumbled upon a few powerful thoughts that really challenged the way I thought about God-given purpose. Is it really what we think it is? Have we complicated this matter of 'findin...

Why God's Grand Plan Has Nothing To (Actually) Do With Us

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on this massively eye-opening reading in my YouVersion plan. "T he main focus of God’s plan is God, not us," the author said - to which I was like: Say what? What do you mean  everything God planned, did or will do wasn't about me? But didn't He come to die for me ?  My natural, self-absorbed self just couldn't grasp it. "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond what you could imagine." (Isaiah 55:8, NLT) This reading below testifies to that completely. We often get lost in ourselves and (if we're being completely honest), our belief that God's plans should revolve around us and our comfort. Hence, why, like I said, this reading was a massive eye-opener: God had all His plans in place when He created us. He knew exactly how much everything was going to cost, knew exactly what His ultimate goal was, and knew how everything was going to turn out...