Skip to main content

The Other Crazy Important Thing I Learnt About Prayer Last Week

Okay, I tricked you a little. I learnt more that one crazy important thing, thanks to UCB's Word For Today (if you don't know what I'm talking about, this is a good place to start - http://www.ucb.co.uk/word-for-today.html. I've found UCB incredibly useful, practical and most importantly, easy to digest). 

Last Friday, I started with What I Really Learnt About Prayer This Week, but it couldn't stop there because there's JUST SO MUCH ABOUT PRAYER WE ALL SO DESPERATELY NEED TO KNOW, and I really believe understanding these things will help your prayer life the way it's helping mine.

Now I've wetted your appetite (successfully?), let's get to it.

1) How you choose to pray really is up to you. You can walk and talk, vent as you jog, kneel with your head bowed down, lie on the ground, lie therapist-style on a long couch, go for a drive... whatever will help you focus your heart and your mind on God.

For a long time, I didn't realise my style wasn't really staying in one place and praying. A significant amount of the time, I communicate so much better with God when I'm moving - climbing the stairs, driving, having a shower. So I decided to stick to what made me most comfortable. 

Find a prayer style that works for YOU. Whichever way you choose, God is still listening.

2) Does your mind wander when you pray? Do you find yourself ticking things off your To-Do list or replaying a conversation you had with someone who upset you? Stop feeling guilty about it! Even when your mind wanders, God's spirit is still with you. 

Instead of allowing the devil to guilt-trip you into thinking you've messed up and you're crap at 'this prayer thing', or struggling to suppress the thoughts, start talking to Him about it! Don't see those kinds of thoughts as obstacles to prayer, see it as an opportunity to lay it before God - because clearly, it's something you're concerned about it.

What's really important to remember is that a good prayer life isn't developed overnight. It's all about progress, not perfection. Prayer is something a lot us work at, every day. Just keep going, keep communicating, and keep being open and honest with God. After all, He's your Father.


Kunmi x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple, Practical Solution To Reading More of Your Bible

At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read the entire Bible - for the second time - in a year. (I also started using these amazing reading plans on my even more amazing Bible app, YouVersion. It's awesome; check it out! )  My aim is to get more of God's word into my head, mind and heart, and as a result, get to know Him better, as... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was  God." (John 1:1) Simple, yeah? If God and His Word are one, then by getting to know one more, I get to know the other, right? But to achieve my goal, I obviously had to carve out more time to read God's Word.  Now, truth be told, I often find reading the Bible a little bit tedious (I'll have you know God appreciates my honesty), ESPECIALLY when it gets to certain, not-so-Jesus-loves-you-you-can-do-no-wrong-everything-is-all-GOOD chapters like Numbers, Leviticus and a few others (let's cut them some slack, shall we?). But I rea...

Why God's Grand Plan Has Nothing To (Actually) Do With Us

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on this massively eye-opening reading in my YouVersion plan. "T he main focus of God’s plan is God, not us," the author said - to which I was like: Say what? What do you mean  everything God planned, did or will do wasn't about me? But didn't He come to die for me ?  My natural, self-absorbed self just couldn't grasp it. "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond what you could imagine." (Isaiah 55:8, NLT) This reading below testifies to that completely. We often get lost in ourselves and (if we're being completely honest), our belief that God's plans should revolve around us and our comfort. Hence, why, like I said, this reading was a massive eye-opener: God had all His plans in place when He created us. He knew exactly how much everything was going to cost, knew exactly what His ultimate goal was, and knew how everything was going to turn out...

Why You Should Stop Searching For Your Purpose

In the last few months, I'd been struggling with feelings of unfulfillment, direction and purpose. Although I have three jobs, a business and a good relationship with God (at the moment LOL), I felt like something was missing and I was just wasting away - every day.  Was I just waking up, working, cooking, cleaning, sleeping and doing it all over again the next day? Was there something I should have been doing that I wasn't? Was the more God wanted of me? Was I just coasting through life? As usual, I took it to God and I trusted He would show/tell me exactly what I needed to know in this season of my life, and I'm so glad He did. On my (motivational) radio programme, the Holy Spirit prompted me to talk about finding your calling and purpose in life, and in doing research for the show, I stumbled upon a few powerful thoughts that really challenged the way I thought about God-given purpose. Is it really what we think it is? Have we complicated this matter of 'findin...