Skip to main content

Gratitude Will Bring You Peace

How many times have you heard some preacher, motivational speaker, or life coach tell you that exactly what your life is missing is a little bit more gratitude?

If your timeline is anything like mine, how many Instagram quotes on being thankful do you scroll past every day?

Most of us understand the concept of gratitude; why it's necessary; all the things we even have to be grateful for - family, good health, work that we enjoy/at least, pays the bills, and all that goodness. We get it. Lots of people, from just around the corner from us, to halfway around the world, don't have a quarter of what we do, so QUIT that whining right now!

But the truth is, many times, it's very difficult to put thankfulness in practice. Because even though we are incredibly blessed with all these beautiful things, it's hard sometimes not to focus on all that's missing in our lives - especially when we believe we deserve it! Turning a blind eye to what's going wrong is tough business. 

Your boss/job is tiresome; you're working so hard, but seeing very little results; your partner isn't being fair to you; you are not where you thought you'd be by now; God isn't moving as quickly as you think is necessary. AND YOU'RE JUST SUPPOSED TO PRETEND THAT ALL THAT CRAP DOESN'T EXIST? 

But choosing gratitude will change your life. Not in the way you might be thinking; not in a happy-go-lucky-everything-is-just-fantastic, pretentious kind of way.

Being grateful for what you do have shifts the focus from what you don't have yet (or honestly, may never have because your life will be better off without it) and gives you the freedom to 'be in the now'. And this is not just me spewing out random theories that I myself have never applied - and I'll prove it.

This week, I got a 'promotion' of sorts at work, but not quite in the way I had imagined it. There was still a lot of room for clarity, I didn't get the financial upgrade I was expecting. It didn't come with the glamourous package I had assumed it would. 

And that upset me - for a few hours. Until I took a good, close look at where I had started and where God had brought me from, and made an active decision right there and then that I would not insult God by turning my nose up and this ah-mazing gift. Because not only has He been incredible, there's so much more in store for me; I know that as well as I know that the sun will go down, and the moon will come out. So, I have peace.

That's what gratitude (coupled with growing faith in God) does. It allows you to rest. It grants you freedom from constantly having to check behind you, on the look out for what's missing/isn't forthcoming/on the way. Gratitude gives you peace.


I hope you choose it today.


Love,

Kunmi x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple, Practical Solution To Reading More of Your Bible

At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read the entire Bible - for the second time - in a year. (I also started using these amazing reading plans on my even more amazing Bible app, YouVersion. It's awesome; check it out! )  My aim is to get more of God's word into my head, mind and heart, and as a result, get to know Him better, as... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was  God." (John 1:1) Simple, yeah? If God and His Word are one, then by getting to know one more, I get to know the other, right? But to achieve my goal, I obviously had to carve out more time to read God's Word.  Now, truth be told, I often find reading the Bible a little bit tedious (I'll have you know God appreciates my honesty), ESPECIALLY when it gets to certain, not-so-Jesus-loves-you-you-can-do-no-wrong-everything-is-all-GOOD chapters like Numbers, Leviticus and a few others (let's cut them some slack, shall we?). But I rea...

Why You Should Stop Searching For Your Purpose

In the last few months, I'd been struggling with feelings of unfulfillment, direction and purpose. Although I have three jobs, a business and a good relationship with God (at the moment LOL), I felt like something was missing and I was just wasting away - every day.  Was I just waking up, working, cooking, cleaning, sleeping and doing it all over again the next day? Was there something I should have been doing that I wasn't? Was the more God wanted of me? Was I just coasting through life? As usual, I took it to God and I trusted He would show/tell me exactly what I needed to know in this season of my life, and I'm so glad He did. On my (motivational) radio programme, the Holy Spirit prompted me to talk about finding your calling and purpose in life, and in doing research for the show, I stumbled upon a few powerful thoughts that really challenged the way I thought about God-given purpose. Is it really what we think it is? Have we complicated this matter of 'findin...

Why God's Grand Plan Has Nothing To (Actually) Do With Us

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on this massively eye-opening reading in my YouVersion plan. "T he main focus of God’s plan is God, not us," the author said - to which I was like: Say what? What do you mean  everything God planned, did or will do wasn't about me? But didn't He come to die for me ?  My natural, self-absorbed self just couldn't grasp it. "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond what you could imagine." (Isaiah 55:8, NLT) This reading below testifies to that completely. We often get lost in ourselves and (if we're being completely honest), our belief that God's plans should revolve around us and our comfort. Hence, why, like I said, this reading was a massive eye-opener: God had all His plans in place when He created us. He knew exactly how much everything was going to cost, knew exactly what His ultimate goal was, and knew how everything was going to turn out...