Skip to main content

THIS is What Your Quiet Time with God is Missing!

Diversity. 

Nothing will kill the one-on-one time you spend with God faster than repetitiveness.

One of our biggest challenges as Christians, who've been sold the lie that we have to be a certain way to be accepted by God, is the failure to realise (and truly understand) that God has no interest in religious rituals. The minute the heart and soul of your worship is missing, you lose God's attention.

Growing up, I used to believe alone time with God had to be me getting up at the break of dawn, sitting down with a big, fat KJV Bible, reading words I didn't understand, singing songs I'd heard over and over that never really made sense to me, and saying overcomplicated prayers, throwing around words like 'sanctify' so that it was all more authentic.

FAIL.

Obviously, years later, I'm way past all of that. I now understand that God treasures an honest, simple heart - and honest, simple worship - more than anything. And that now translates to every part of my life, including my quiet time.

But I believe it's important to keep things spicy (bet you never thought you would see that word used in this context, LOL!). 

Please note: There's nothing wrong with doing what you love to do when you're alone with God. That could be anything from meditating on Scripture, to dancing for Him. But the same routine over a long period of time can leave you feeling bored and uninspired, and turn your special time with your Dad to a chore you need to tick off your To-Do list.

Get out of your comfort zone today! Try switching it up with a 20-minute message, instead of reading your usual devotional. Or plug in your favourite Christian music first thing in the morning before the day gets crazy. Anything that will mix things up a little bit.

Or didn't you know that your relationship with God needs to be kept fresh too?! More for your sake than His!


Love,

Kunmi x




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple, Practical Solution To Reading More of Your Bible

At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read the entire Bible - for the second time - in a year. (I also started using these amazing reading plans on my even more amazing Bible app, YouVersion. It's awesome; check it out! )  My aim is to get more of God's word into my head, mind and heart, and as a result, get to know Him better, as... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was  God." (John 1:1) Simple, yeah? If God and His Word are one, then by getting to know one more, I get to know the other, right? But to achieve my goal, I obviously had to carve out more time to read God's Word.  Now, truth be told, I often find reading the Bible a little bit tedious (I'll have you know God appreciates my honesty), ESPECIALLY when it gets to certain, not-so-Jesus-loves-you-you-can-do-no-wrong-everything-is-all-GOOD chapters like Numbers, Leviticus and a few others (let's cut them some slack, shall we?). But I rea...

Why God's Grand Plan Has Nothing To (Actually) Do With Us

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on this massively eye-opening reading in my YouVersion plan. "T he main focus of God’s plan is God, not us," the author said - to which I was like: Say what? What do you mean  everything God planned, did or will do wasn't about me? But didn't He come to die for me ?  My natural, self-absorbed self just couldn't grasp it. "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond what you could imagine." (Isaiah 55:8, NLT) This reading below testifies to that completely. We often get lost in ourselves and (if we're being completely honest), our belief that God's plans should revolve around us and our comfort. Hence, why, like I said, this reading was a massive eye-opener: God had all His plans in place when He created us. He knew exactly how much everything was going to cost, knew exactly what His ultimate goal was, and knew how everything was going to turn out...

Why You Should Stop Searching For Your Purpose

In the last few months, I'd been struggling with feelings of unfulfillment, direction and purpose. Although I have three jobs, a business and a good relationship with God (at the moment LOL), I felt like something was missing and I was just wasting away - every day.  Was I just waking up, working, cooking, cleaning, sleeping and doing it all over again the next day? Was there something I should have been doing that I wasn't? Was the more God wanted of me? Was I just coasting through life? As usual, I took it to God and I trusted He would show/tell me exactly what I needed to know in this season of my life, and I'm so glad He did. On my (motivational) radio programme, the Holy Spirit prompted me to talk about finding your calling and purpose in life, and in doing research for the show, I stumbled upon a few powerful thoughts that really challenged the way I thought about God-given purpose. Is it really what we think it is? Have we complicated this matter of 'findin...